Here’s a tri-doshic curry recipe that might not be ready in a hurry (takes about an hour to prepare) but is well worth the wait. This recipe works for all doshas, and uses a combination of spices which aids digestion and strengthen the body.
- 1 cup fresh green peas or zucchini
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 cups green string beans
- 2 tbsp. ghee or coconut oil
- 2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 2 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. sea salt or rock salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1/2 cup yogurt
In a large skillet, heat oil or ghee. Add the mustard and cumin seeds, watching them closely until they begin to pop. Next, stir in the turmeric. Add the vegetables and water and cook covered, about 15-20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
Add yogurt and remaining ingredients. Simmer uncovered on low heat for another 15-20 minutes.
Serve over rice, quinoa or a grain to suit your dosha.
- If using frozen peas, add them at the end so they retain their texture.
- You can use coconut milk for the yogurt if you have an allergy, although this recipe is generally well-tolerated by many with digestive sensitivities.
Inspired by The Ayurvedic Cookbook by Amadea Morningstar