I am not a vegan, but I sometimes I avoid dairy when my digestion feels sensitive, and I also often cook for friends with dairy intolerances. Here’s a great recipe for a classic caesar salad, done vegan. Balancing for vata, slightly increasing for pitta and kapha. Garlic will create agitation in the mind, but from it is great for colds and certainly delicious.
- 1 tablespoon miso
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup raw cashews or pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or coconut vinegar
- 1 teaspoon stone-ground mustard (or i like grainy dijon)
- 2 cloves garlic (omit for pitta)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or basil
Dissolve the miso in the hot water. Place all other ingredients into a blender or food processor, and process until cream. Add the miso mixture and blend again. This dressing will keep for 5 days in the fridge.
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 2 slices bread of your choice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
Preheat the oven to 375 F. Spread coconut oil on the bread slices and top with a little minced garlic. Place on a baking sheet and toast for 5-7 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Cut into 1/4 inch cubes and set aside.
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, cut into 1 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons Caesar dressing (recipe abov)
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
Toss ingredients and top with croutons.
Source: The Ayurvedic Vegan Kitchen, Talya Lutzker