Golden Healing Tea for Cold Season
This golden healing tea recipe is a perfect home brew for the cold season, and can also be used as a daily health tonic. It boosts immunity, helps fight colds or infections, balances the digestive system and calms the mind.
Turmeric is known for its incredible healing benefits, including 20 antibiotic compounds, 14 known anti-cancer compounds, 10 antioxidants and 12 anti-inflammatory agents.
Tulsi (holy basil) is known to boost immunity and stress-resilience, and to promote a calm, loving temperament.
Recipe (Serves 2)
- 3 cups water
- 1 fresh turmeric root (1 to 2 inches), peeled and thinly sliced (*Or you can use dried turmeric powder)
- 1 ginger root (1 inch), thinly sliced
- 5 whole tulsi leaves (fresh or dried) or 1 teaspoon dry tulsi leaves
- 1 lemon, freshly squeezed
- one pinch of ground black pepper
- Raw local honey to taste
- In a tea kettle or saucepan, add water, turmeric, ginger, pepper and tulsi.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to medium heat and let cook for 10 minutes.
- Strain into 2 serving cups.
- Squeeze 1/2 of a lemon into each cup.
- When the drink has cooled slightly, add honey to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!
Source: With modifications from Nick Polizzi, Remedy: Ancient Medicine for Modern Illness