Amaranth is sweet and rich in protein, making this a great breakfast to bring warmth and energy to a cool morning. Stores well in refrigerator; can be reheated for use the next day. Balancing for vata and kapha.
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup dry amaranth (ideally, soaked overnight)
- 2½ cup water
- 1/8-1/4 cup raisins
- Optional: 1 teaspoon cinnamon and/or cardamon
- Optional: 1 teaspoon almond oil extract
- Optional: ground flax seeds or shredded coconut (balancing for pitta dosha, making this a neutral dish)
Bring water to a boil in small, heavy pot; stir in amaranth and raisins. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook until cereal is soft and thick, about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve.
Source: Amadea Morningstar’s book “The Ayurvedic Cookbook”