Golden milk is an ayurvedic staple in my home. It is grounding, easy to digest relaxing to the nervous system and aids good sleep. It is based in ghee (clarified butter), which serves to oleate the digestive system, bringing strength and ojas (glow) to the organs and skin. The golden colour comes from turmeric, a herb known to reduce inflammation, purify the blood, balance the intestinal flora, boost the immune system and support good digestion.
Golden milk is ideal for balancing for vata dosha but can be enjoyed by all types in moderation. I’ve included a few variations to the recipe below, so you can make your own version to suit the needs of your dosha.
- 2 cups of milk of your choice (almond is good for vata & kapha; coconut is good for pitta)
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon organic turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon real cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- A pinch of ground black pepper (to activate turmeric)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- a pinch of nutmeg (aids sleep)
- 1 teaspoon raw honey, maple syrup or stevia to taste (avoid adding honey when the milk is too hot)
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder and/or pinch of cayenne (best for kapha – both boost slow digestion & metabolism)
Warm ghee in a medium saucepan. Add spices on low heat, stirring gently. Add warm milk, stir with spices and heat for 3-5 minutes. Add sweetener, if desired and serve.