This simple, grounding soup makes a satisfying meal for those of the delicate Vata constitution.
- 1/4 cup basmati rice, rinsed and soaked*
- 6-8 cups water
- 1/2 cup greens of your choice (zucchini, leeks, kale, rapini, etc)
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup diced beets
- 1 tbsp nettle (look in the herb and spice section of your natural food store)
- 1/8 tbsp cumin
- 1/8 tbsp coriander
- 1 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tbsp minced fresh ginger root
- sea salt or rock salt to taste
Bring water to a boil on the stove. Add the rice, vegetables and spices. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer for 60-80 minutes, covered.
Serve as an appetizer or a main course.
Garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy warm or at room temperature.
*Soaking rice is optional but it helps digestability and texture. Soaking time can vary between 30 minutes – 2 hours in advance.