Thanks to my sisters Sahaj and Satkiana for sharing this sugar-free and vegan recipe. It has been a favourite at our women’s gatherings for some time now and I am pleased now to have graduated to making it on my own. This is a modified version of the one by Elana Amsterdam in The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook.
1/2 cups blanched almond flour
1/4 tsp celtic sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup grape seed, or almond oil
2 tbsp agave nectar or maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, salt and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, sweetener and vanilla.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry.
- Pat dough into a 9 1/2 inch glass pie dish.
- Bake at 325 for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
Chocolate Cream Filling:
2 13.5 fl oz, (400 ml), can of coconut milk (Thai Kitchen is a good brand)
pinch celtic sea salt
1/4 cup arrowroot powder
1/2 cup agave nectar or maple syrup
2 tbsp vanilla extract
2 cups dark chocolate chunks
- Bring coconut milk and salt to a boil in a medium pot.
- Sift arrowroot powder into the pot, whisk vigorously by hand or with a hand blender for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in agave or vanilla
- Remove from heat and let stand for 1 minute.
- Add chocolate, stirring vigorously until completely melted.
- Place in pie crust and chill in refrigerator until set and cool.
Serve only to your most favourite people.