This recipe is inspired by my travels to Kerala, in Southern India. Whenever I use shredded coconut in my recipes, I think of our cooks there, whose afternoon ritual was to grate fresh coconut for our meals.
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon clove powder
- 2 cloves of garlic minced (optional)
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed butter)
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- Pinch of cayenne or chili ancho
- 1 whole cauliflower, chopped
- fresh coriander as a garnish (optional)
Heat a cast iron skillet on medium heat. When hot, toss in the shredded coconut, sesame seeds and cumin seeds, and stir. Once the coconut browns, Immediately add the coconut oil, ginger and garlic. Add a little water if the ingredients are sticking to the pan. Next, add the tahini and spices with enough water and stir, until you get the consistency of a nice sauce. Next, add the chopped cauliflower and cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
Serve with rice, or your favourite grain.