The Third-Eye Compress is a powerful treatment to relieve mental tension and stress in the mind. It can be done at home and is simple to do, and only takes about 10 minutes. Great before bed.
- Reduces anxiety, lack of focus or restlessness;
- Relieves mental stress & tension and supports mental clarity & focus;
- Promotes emotional balance & a calm, relaxed and joyful state of mind;
- Supports a deeper meditation practice;
- Indirectly supports conditions related to dryness, including lower back pain, constipation, migraines and kidney problems.
- a piece of cloth, about the size of a napkin or bandana (i.e. cotton, linen or flannel)
- 1/4 cup of plain unrefined sesame oil or see options below
- An old towel
- Optional: a cup warmer or oil warmer (in case the oil gets cool)
- Optional: rose water & 2 round cotton pads
- You will want to perform this treatment in a clean, relaxed atmosphere. You can do it after a long day at work, or, for a full spa treatment, after a self-massage and/or a warm epsom salt bath.
- Prepare a comfortable place where you can lie down and be warm and relaxed. Place the towel either on your pillow or where you will rest your head. Optional to set up a blanket, candles, incense or relaxing music.
- Warm the oil on the stove or in a container of hot water.
- Fold the cloth and soak the middle part in the oil. Lay comfortably on your back, placing the cloth across the forehead, so that the warm oil touches the marma point in the middle of the forehead (also called the third eye).
- Relax with eyes closed for approximately 10 minutes. Rest.
- Optional to re-warm the oil if it cools and enjoy this treatment for up to 30 minutes.
- Optional to soak the cotton pads in a little rose water and place on the eyes (soothes tired, dry eyes)
- After this practice, allow your senses to rest. Avoid reading, mental work or disturbing conversations for at least an hour.
Selecting An Oil For Your Dosha
Most types benefit from using plain, unrefined sesame oil or brahmi oil (a herbalized oil for the mind). You can also select one of the following oils:
- 1/2 cup warm sesame oil
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or
- 1/4 cup coconut oil and 1/4 cup ghee or
- 1/4 cup coconut oil and 1/4 cup milk or
- equal parts coconut oil, ghee and cool milk + 2-3 tsps rosewater
- 1/2 cup warm sesame oil or
- 1/4 cup warm sesame oil and 1/4 cup warm coconut oil
- 3 tbsp ginger tea and warm sesame oil