Tulsi Tea (Holy Basil) : “The Incomparable One”
Tulsi is one of the first teas (or tinctures) that I recommend to new students and clients.
Tulsi brings a boost of energy to the body-mind, helping you to feel calm, grounded, clear-minded and focused. It supports a healthy immune system, good digestion, good concentration, and helps to clear “stuck” energy from the body-mind.
In India, Tulsi is considered to be “the Queen of the Herbs”, a manifestation of the goddess Lakshmi, associated with wealth, prosperity and Vishnu (the force of preservation).
When Tulsi was introduced in Europe, it was also widely reputed for its healing and spiritual powers, specifically in the Christian Orthodox tradition. The Greeks called the tulsi plant “Holy Basil” or “the King of Herbs”; the Greek word basileus means “King or royalty”, a herb reserved for the greatest.
There are several reasons why you may want to consider making tulsi tea a part of your daily routine.
The Benefits of Tulsi Tea
- Helps Adapt to Stress: Tulsi is a powerful adaptogen (a plant which reduces the impacts of stress on the body), and helps to support healthy cortisol levels (the stress hormone associated with the “fight or flight” response);
- Boosts the Immune System: Tulsi tea boosts the body’s immunity, and also helps to treat common colds;
- Supports Healthy Digestion: Tulsi tea is particularly effective in helping to treat slow or congested digestion, moving “stuck” energy, and helping with the digestion of difficult emotions. This tea can also be given for indigestion after overeating.
- Supports Weight Loss: Tulsi tea increases your metabolism, balance blood fats and helps you to lose weight naturally. It has been said that taking just one cup of tulsi tea per day can help lose up to 10 pounds in one year, without any other lifestyle or dietary changes.
- Balances the Blood Sugar: Tulsi helps balance high blood sugar levels and is helpful in the treatment of diabetes.
- Anti-Cancer: In clinical studies, tulsi tea was found to offer protection against various types of cancers, including the progression of breast cancer and oral cancer. Tulsi also reduces cell and tissue damage from sun rays, radiation therapy and other radiation sources.
- Kidney Stones: Tulsi helps to regulate uric acid levels in body, thereby elimination risks of developing kidney stones and helping to treat those with kidney stones;
- Aids Focus, Memory & in Treatment of ADHD: Due to the plant’s ability to enhance circulation and oxygen in the brain, it has been used to support those with poor memory, concentration, ADD and ADHD.
- Treatment of Depression: Tulsi has been shown to be beneficial in treating long-term depression, PTSD, and chronic stress.
- Opens the Heart: Tulsi not only enhances the mood, but it also enhances circulation, benefiting the cardiovascular system and cholesterol levels. Tulsi is associated with sattva guna, enhancing calmness, clarity, compassion and meditation. Energetically, it serves to opens the heart and mind and encourages devotion and gratitude.
Some of my Favourite Tulsi Teas:
Organic India’s Sweet Rose Tulsi Tea (available at Rainbow Foods in Ottawa)
Organic Traditions Holy Basil Tulsi Tea (available at Herb and Spice Ottawa)