Self-oleation is one of my favourite ayurvedic self-care practices. Also called sneha (meaning both “oil” and “love”), it is a practice which is believed to have effects similar to being saturated by love : it is deeply healing, nourishing, strengthening and beautifying to all aspects of you.
“By using oil massage daily, a person is endowed with pleasant touch, trimmed body parts and becomes strong, charming and least affected by old age” – Charaka Samhita
The Benefits of Self-Massage (Abhyanga)
- Promotes softness and luster to the skin;
- Brings youthfulness & decreases wrinkling
- Nourishing, grounding and relaxing — calms the nerves
- Decreases the effects of stress and improves sleep
- Improves muscle tone and firmness of the body;
- Lubricates and promotes flexibility of muscles & joints;
- Moves the lymph, assisting with detoxification of the body.
Read more here